Friday, August 3, 2007

Week 7, Number 16: Learn about wikis

The only thing I knew about wikis was Wikipedia which often pops up when you Google a subject but now I have a broader understanding of the whole thing. It's really a collaborative sharing of ideas, information and files. You don't have to know html either. Anyone can do it! What are the advantages to libraries? After I looked at a few library wikis, I saw that they can be used as subject guides, reader's advisory tools, sharing of meeting notes or lists of various resources. These are just a few examples. For committee meetings, members of the group could edit documents using a wiki. I enjoyed looking at the Booklovers Wiki and I got some great recommendations for books I plan to read. I enjoyed looking at the Merlin wiki which had lots of useful links.

No comments: